Monday, September 7, 2009

Ouchie!


During my entire childhood and all of my adult life, up to now of course, I have never been stung by a wasp/hornet. At this point I am not sure whether it was a wasp or hornet, and there is really no way I will ever know, since I rendered that nasty creature helpless and then tossed him to the wind.

I was at the fellowship building at the church preparing the tables for the Ladies Bible Fellowship, when I reached into my basket to pull out a few items. I had no idea the little guy was there and when he stung me, I just thought I was being poked by a wire (or something) from one of the apples I was using to display on the table.

You can imagine my surprise when the wasp/hornet landed on the table. I grabbed my finger and mustered up enough strength not to yell out a loud cry, I walked around the room telling myself it doesn't hurt, it doesn't hurt. The truth of the matter is...it does hurt!

Minutes later, I found my finger swelling up. I tried to call Steve to get his advice, but he was still out taking a jog. I finally hurried home and my poppie was there to takecare of me. Steve made sure there was no stinger and then he had me ice my finger for ten minutes. My finger is still reeling in pain, I think more from the swelling though, than where the stinger went in.

Oh well, this just tops everything else that has been going on today.

8 comments:

countrygirl85 said...

Awe that looks pretty nasty. Hope it gets to feeling better. The pain should die down soon.

Kali said...

Ouch! I hope your finger starts feeling better soon!

Jersey Mama said...

Ouch! Hope it feels better soon.

Primetime Babyboomers said...

Thanks gals! I ended up having to take a couple doses of Tylenol through out the evening to help with the pain. The swelling is finally going down, but it is taking longer than I expected.

Cove Girl said...

Here's a a fun fact for you, so you know for the future. Hornets bite and Wasps sting. Since there wasn't a stinger stuck in you it sounds like it was a hornet. How do I know the difference? Because I once accidentally walked into a wasps nest, that was in a dead log, and was stung 7 times. Trust me I was full of tears and slept most of the rest of the next day, my body fighting off their poison. Another reason to think it's a hornet is that once wasps or bees sting, they die. The fact that you had to kill it makes me believe it was a hornet. I'm glad that you're OK though, Hornets at least aren't poisonous. Hope you enjoy the facts.

Primetime Babyboomers said...

Carolyn, thanks for the "facts". If it was a hornet then he bite awfully hard. However, after talking to a couple people from church they said I probably got bit/sting by a yellow jacket. What do you know about yellow jackets? Is that considered a wasp, hornet or something else? The things that make me go hmmmmm.

Cove Girl said...

A Yellow Jacket is just another name for a different species of wasp. They're typically a predatory type of wasp. That could be as well.

Cove Girl said...

Just looking at when your sister arrives. I can't believe it's 6 days!!! Time sure does fly. I can't wait to meet her.