Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Spiders Everywhere: Indoor and Outdoor

Over the last five years I have come to notice a ritual that takes place in my family room every August. Almost every evening, without fail, I will see a very black, eight-legged spider move quickly across the family room floor.

I always thought spiders came out in October due to the colder weather but that is not true,but a myth.

I decided to Google why spiders appear in late August/early summer and to my surprise Washington.edu had a blog about common myths.

Truly it is a myth that spiders come into your house when the temperatures drop. Most house spiders (indoor spiders) never go outside to live, while outdoor spider never come inside to live (and if they do, they will usually die). Isn't that reassuring.

So could I conclude that the very same species that crosses my family room floor every year lives in my house somewhere? So you might ask, why then do I only see them appear in the month of August? Well that is because they are wandering around looking for a mate. I was told a few years back that it was the male spider running from the female because she kills them after the mating season. As I see it, if they cross my path he's dead either way.

No comments: