Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A day in the life of a Hummer

Steve and I are advid bird watchers, or at least from our backyard. This winter we have had the opportunity to watch over one lone ranger hummingbird, who for whatever reason didn't make his journey south. So we took extra care and made sure he had sugar water through out the winter.

Now I know that most hummingbirds look the same, but this particular fellow is a little more "plump" than the rest of the hummers that arrived to our feeders a couple of weeks ago.

So, I am kind of thinking this is the feller who stayed throughout the winter. The most interesting thing about this particular bird, is that for a hummer he is lazy. He just sits and watches. He doesn't fly around at quick speeds from one end of the yard to the other, nor is he timid and shy (I hope he doesn't become our neighbor's cat's next meal). He just sits and sits and sits. It is hard to say this, but for a hummingbird he is kind of lazy. Nonetheless, he sat long enough for me to take his photo (not a great picture, but trying to take a picture of a small bird in the midst of trees, from inside the house, is not an easy task).

Anyways, since I had nothing else interesting going on in my life right now to blog about, I thought I'd tell you about this little bird.

2 comments:

countrygirl85 said...

He's so cute, and.... plump :)

Teri said...

Sher,

I had to open the picture to find the bird. It is very unusual to find a hummingbird just sitting. We do get to see a few around our house when the weather gets nicer. I do need to go buy a new feeder and our other one broke. Nice picture and lets just hope the little plump fellow is not a snack for the neighbor's cat.