Monday, June 22, 2009

Cleaving and Leprosy...huh?

Being able to go to the Lord's house on Sunday is always a pleasure and like every Sunday we hear wonderful preaching from God's Word. This past Sunday was no exception. God was in the midst of our services and was very present in the singing, special songs and his spoken Word.

Sunday evening Pastor Sargent preached another message from his series on "Biblical View vs World View; this time it related to the institution of marriage, and since we just witnessed Dave and Amber's wedding on Saturday, it was very appropriate. His text came from Genesis 2:24 and it made me anxious to hear what he had to say about this institution.

Back in May, I gave a devotion at Amber's bridal shower and my text was Genesis 2:24,as well. God is so good, because I felt like everything the Pastor was led to say, confirmed what I was led to say in my devotion. But, what I found most interesting from Pastor's message last night was the illustration he used to help us understand the cleaving part of Genesis 2:24.

In my studies I had likened cleaving to glue or cement; being adhered to, or joined to, one another (like peanut butter and jelly). But the picture Pastor presented last night on cleaving was even better. In 2 Kings 5 Elisha's servant Gehazi is deceitful by taking what is not his and then lying to Elisha about his whereabouts. The Bible tells us in verse 27, "The leprosy therefore of Naaman shall cleave unto thee (Gehazi)...".

Leprosy isn't a disease that just sits on the outside of the body, but comes from within the body. There is no separation: the body and disease is one; it is deep within the bones. I know this isn't the most pleasant analogy when you are talking about a marriage, but the concept of cleaving (or the union of two people becoming one) here is perfect. I don't think I know of a better illustration or definition for "cleaving" than this one.

I just love how God takes his Word and can show us exactly what he means and what he wants for our lives. Pastor's message on the institution of marriage last night was powerful, insightful, and right on. We must take a stand and share with others God's way: his plan and purpose for the institution of marriage. Thanks Pastor.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

That's was neat to hear. Thanks!