Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Northern Flicker Rescued

As most of you know I am a backyard bird watcher. This morning when I was getting ready for work, I noticed a Northern Flicker clinging to the bark of one of the trees. What was most unusual was the fact that she was all puffed up and looked like she was missing her head.

I watched her through out the morning and I found that she was acting quite strange. The next time I saw her she was sitting in the yard pecking at the ground. If any of you have ever watched Northern Flickers, you would recognize that this behavior is very odd.

Before I left for work I finally realized that the little bird had a broken left wing. I was concerned for her welfare and hoped that she would not be eaten by one of our neighborhood fat cats. Thankfully, on my way out the door, I happen to see her hobble up a tree.

This evening when I got home, there she was again sitting out in the backyard. After talking with Steve I decided to call and talk to Lydia who owns the Wild Bird store in town. Lydia advised us to call Best Friends Vet Hospital. Chris was very helpful and was able to dispatch a technician to our house within thirty minutes.

It didn't take long for the young lady to catch the bird and boy did that Northern Flicker scream when she picked her up.

I wish I could tell you that there will be a "happy ending" to this story, but that might not be the case with this creature. Birds bones are hollow and depending on where the break is on this birds wing will determine if the Vet can fix it or not. If they can repair the wing than she has a chance of survival, if not, then she is going to be a snack for one of the eagles they have nursed back to health. That was hard to hear.

The cycle of life, I know it exists but sometimes it is hard to digest. Would it have been better for her if I had just left her alone than to try to have her injury treated? I had no idea that if she couldn't be treated that she would end up as eagle bait. :(

The experience has been somewhat intense and quite interesting. I hope she makes it!

2 comments:

Cove Girl said...

I think it might have been worse if you had left her out in the wild, but that's just me. She could have:
1) Ended up starving up in the tree if she couldn't fly.
2) Fell out of the tree again and have one of your friendly neighbor hood eagles or vultures swoop down & get her while you watch (I KNOW you wouldn't enjoy that). Or she could have become cat food (again not a pleasant sight).
At least now she has a chance, albeit a slim one, but it's a chance none the less.

Primetime Babyboomers said...

Actually, I didn't have to worry about her eating. She would hobble across the yard to the tree that has the suet feeder on it and then she would hobble back to the other tree and climb it if she felt threatened.

I guess I just like to think that the vet was able to fix her wing. I could call to find out, but in a way maybe it may be better for me not to know.