Saturday, March 3, 2012

Island County Republican Caucus

Two years ago I experienced my first caucus and today was my second time. The attendance, level of participation and the spirit of the voters was well received. Steve was given the opportunity to stand up for a minute and pitch his candidate. He was a little nervous, but did a super fine job! (YOU GO HONEY!!)

Steve and I, along with our Precinct Caucus Officer (who automatically gets to go to the next level) were voted in as delegates by the eight members that showed up from the Swantown district. We are so excited to be able to represent our precinct at the county level. We met some very nice people today and I loved the fact that we all got along with each other, even though we did not necessarily agree on which Republican candidate to vote for. It is interesting to note that we almost had a 3-way tie at our table: 3 voted for Paul, 3 voted for Romney and 2 voted for Santorum.

Not only were we voted in as delegates but also a few of our other friends were voted in to represent their precincts. So far, I know that Vicki, Tess and Jim will be representing their precincts. I am also waiting to find out if Carolyn, Levi and a few others might have been chosen to represent their precinct as well.

As I understand it, the Island County Caucus meets March 24 and that is were we cast our votes for Swantown, and then pick a delegate to represent our precinct at state.

This has been quite a learning process for me. Two years ago, I went to my first caucus and I didn't understand the process at all. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even let my precinct consider me as a delegate. But this year, I did and I am looking forward to seeing what the next level is like.

1 comment:

Cove Girl said...

Sadly I can report that I will not be going to the county convention as a delegate. I was not able to be there today due to my stupid final. Which by BTW I don't feel good about at all:( I would have much rather been at the caucus, especially at such an important one. However, I'm pretty sure that Levi is going for his district. Not sure about Bro. Bouza though.