Friday, January 9, 2009

Is it Murphy, Satan or God?

How many of you have heard of Murphy’s Law or have experienced Murphy’s Law? Well today, I got to experience Murphy; or at least that is what my mind thought. For those of you who may have never heard of Murphy’s Law, it is an old adage that basically states, if something can go wrong it will.

This year I set out to read my Bible daily and every day thus far, God has shown me something from his Word. In my 2009 Commitment (see post) I committed to 1) eating from God's Word and 2) exercising; specifically, exercising my faith. Anytime you begin a regiment like this one, you can plan on Satan attacking you in one fashion or another.

Finances have always been a worry for me and even when I think I have turned "all worrying" over to God; it only takes one small incident to shake up my so-called faith. Unfortunately, today was no different (1pt for Satan). I had a financial setback which caused my mood to be somber and my spirit troubled. I first blamed Murphy for the setbacks and then I held Satan liable. But a still small voice in the back of my head kept saying to me, maybe God is responsible? Just maybe, God was trying to EXERCISE my faith.

After some consideration, I thanked God for the exercise of faith and the growing pain he set before me. As I sat at the dining room table weeping over the day’s events, holding Levi in my lap, feeling helpless and knowing that there is nothing I can do to change things, I prayed and asked God to help me let go and trust in him. God revealed to me that I lack faith in trusting him completely. As hard as this was to acknowledge, I knew it to be true. All day, I kept telling myself, God is in control, I don't have to worry, he knows what he is doing; but I was still having trouble believing it. Oh how the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Thankfully, God showed me Psalm 112:7, “He (Sherri) shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his (her) heart is fixed in the LORD.” It seemed almost instantaneously that the pressure and heavy burden I was feeling in my heart, lifted.

Through my study this evening, God reminded me of Psalm 37:5 “Commit thy ways unto the LORD, trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass”. My financial setback has not gone away, but I have completed my first EXERCISE in faith for 2009: I have God’s peace which passeth all understanding.

Isn't God good?!

No comments: