Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mooo

On the way back from church last night this calf was drinking milk from the mama cow. I came to a screeching halt, backed up and decided to take a few pictures.

I can't seem to stop taking pictures of animals. Spring time is a wonderful time because there are always new births. Obviously, the calf in this picture is not a newborn, but is still very cute. Unfortunately, one day she will be meat on the table.

These cows are just two of the 500 head of cattle owned by the 3 Sisters Cattle Company here in Oak Harbor. 3 Sisters Cattle Company is a grass fed/finished beef operation that has been a family business for over 100 years. 100 years, amazing! This company uses no growth hormones or antibiotics and their meat is USDA certified. It is nice to know that you can get beef without all of the extra stuff. They actually sell their beef at our local Farmers Market in Coupeville and Bayview. You can also purchase meat directly from them as well.

It is quite a story about the 3 Sisters Cattle Company and if you are just dieing to know how their journey began then head over to their website at http://www.3sistersbeef.com/ and poke around.

4 comments:

countrygirl85 said...

Hey Mrs. MooMoo I love spring too. Especially when you see the colts trying to walk and such.

Primetime Babyboomers said...

Thanks for the chuckle Sandi, I needed that. I was just thinking about pulling this post off the page because Steve said, "It was not my usual kind of post."

I will admit, I don't normally go around talking about cows (or taking pictures of them), but since I have been driving past three different fields of cows over the last four years, I have found the creatures to be kind of interesting.

countrygirl85 said...

Cows are cute if they are taken care of. But Steve's right cows and Sherri dont coninside.

Teri said...

It's always nice to see the little (okay in the case, not so little)babies that are born. Life is wonderful!